anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

In Bed With A Stranger

In Bed With A Stranger - Mary Wine Summary:

An Imperfect Match
Brodick McJames is an earl in name only. To secure his clan's future he needs an English wife. Mary Stanford, daughter of the Earl of Warwickshire, will suit perfectly. He's never met her, but what matter? She'll grace his bed eventually, and once she bears his child he need see her no more.

Anne Copper looks just like her noble half-sister, but she was born illegitimate, and can never forget it. The best she can hope for is to stay a serving girl in her own father's house. But when Lady Mary finds herself betrothed to a Scot, it seems there's a use for Anne after all . . .

The woman who arrives in Alcaon is not what Brodick expects, and the passion that grows between them promises far more than a marriage of convenience. When fate draws two together, it may take more than a noblewoman's plot to part them . . .

I liked Anne a lot. Her life wasn't easy and yet she never grew bitter or resented her father for not helping her and her siblings in anything. She never expected happiness for herself, in her wildest dreams she didn't dare to hope for a loving husband and HEA - but when her evil stepmother hatched her plan it still felt like a death sentence. And when she began falling for Brodick, it was even worse, knowing she would have to lie to him, and eventually leave.

Brodick couldn't believe his luck. His bride wasn't only pretty, but smart and hardworking and generous as well. I loved seeing him falling for Anne - a big tough warrior unable to resist his wife. :-)

As I said, I liked their romance, Brodick's brother and cousin were fascinating as well. I'm looking forward to reading their stories.

There were some thing that bothered me a bit - the rather neat (and completely unbelievable) ending, the way that Anne just accepted the servants scorn (I know she though of herself as a servant until recently, but it was still off), but it wasn't too bad.

Reading the blurb I was convinced there will be plenty of drama, after all no man has a good reaction after finding out he was deceived, but luckily it wasn't drawn out, there were no harsh words or violence - maybe I was just wary since I read a few bodice-rippers with a similar plot and the hero's reaction was always catastrophically bad.

All in all, an enjoyable highlander romance(unfortunately no hot guy in a kilt on the cover *sigh*) that I recommend.

Rating: