anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

Good Girls Don't

Good Girls Don't - Victoria Dahl Tessa Donovan really doesn't need this. Not only was their family brewery robbed, but her brother managed to blow some important business negotiations by sleeping with the man's daughter and getting caught by her irate father. She can fix this, after all she spent most of her life fixing things and cleaning up after her brothers. Of course there's some worthy distraction this time: Detective Luke Asher.

Luke is an old friend of her brother's. He knows he should stay away from Tessa, after all his reputation is in shreds. There are some nasty rumors floating around - he divorced his wife because she had cancer, he's the father of his partner's baby and he refuses to accept it... But Tessa is amazing and he wants her badly.

Luke is a great guy, always willing to help (even if nobody asks him to), he does have some hang-ups, but he deals with them. Even when he says something harsh to Tessa, he apologizes. He's charming and a great friend. The things he did for his partner made me smile (he actually read a couple of pregnancy books, and probably knew more about the risks than her).

Tessa's parents died when she was young, and she and her brothers were left alone. Luckily Eric, the older brother, was there to raise them and keep the family together. But she has some issues and doesn't really trust her brothers to stick around, and because of that she acts in a way that irritates me.

My problem with the book are Tessa's action. She goes behind her brother's back, constantly. I totally understand that when it comes to her private life, but when it's a business situation that involves the brewery... And she lies constantly. Now I know she has her reasons and that the fear of abandonment is the cause, but I simply couldn't like her. There were times when she annoyed me so much that I had to take a pause in reading the book and calm down.

Barring Tessa's behavior, the book is good. I like Luke, Eric and Jamie (I'm looking forward to their books Bad Boys Do) and the mystery part of the book is OK although I didn't like the way it ended, I would've liked to see the perpetrator in jail, and not enjoying himself in Taiwan.

Rating: