anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

The Gamble

The Gamble - Kristen Ashley Nina Sheridan desperately needed a timeout from her life (especially her fiancee). So spending a week in a rented A-Frame in the Colorado mountains sounds like haven.

Unfortunately, when she gets there she has a nasty surprise. The owner changed his mind and is staying in the house.

And to top it all, her car went into a ditch and she has a nasty flu. A great start, no? And that's just the beginning.

Nina was an OK heroine, I liked her. She's feisty, argumentative, has a pretty bad temper, and she's hell on wheels when upset. But she's also sweet and kind, and incredibly helpful to those she likes. Her life so far has been one trial after another, and her vacation is no exception:

...but I don’t know why you want me. It’s mad.”

“Nina –”

“I mean, I go on a vacation to try to figure out my life and here I am, my leg’s scraped up, my ribs are bruised, I’ve been backhanded and punched, I’ve been to a hospital once and a Police Station three times and I’ve been into it with practically everyone in town and, if you take out the time I’ve been sick, I’ve only been here a week!”

“Duchess, let me –”

“What is it with me?” I asked over him then again didn’t wait for an answer, just kept blathering. “I need a timeout to deal with my timeout! That’s how messed up I am. And you’re a good guy, the best, you take care of people, everyone respects you, you’re nice and you’re handsome and you’re generous and smart and you don’t need all that is messed up me messing up you.”

Luckily, coming to Gnaw Bone (that's the name of the town, I'm not kidding), seems to be one of the best decision's she made in her life.

Max, what to say about Max. He's a great guy. Generous, steady, willing to help anyone and everyone. His personal life took a hit 10 years ago, but he didn't get out of rails (except when it comes to women). And now there's Nina (AKA Duchess). She's irresistible.

He can be a Neanderthal (actually he is one most of the time), and autocratic as well, but he means well, so I can forgive him that.

I like how their relationship developed. The flirting, bantering - it was incredibly amusing. But they shared the painful stuff as well. And mostly they opened up to each other as well.

The setting as well, the Colorado Mountains

I like the people of Gnaw Bone, they are so unique. And Nina's mother is incredible. Love that woman.

There were some problems with the editing. I noticed some mistakes, and there were sentences that I simply didn't get even after rereading them. It's not that bad, but if you can't stand them, this may not be the book for you.

The reason for the 4 star rating is mostly Nina. Her behavior towards the end started to irritate me. I understand her issues and fears, but she was sabotaging their relationship, simply kept waiting for a reason to leave.

And the book was long. I even think too long. There's so much stuff crammed in, that it became a bit ridiculous at times.

All in all, I liked the book and I will be reading the sequel [b:Sweet Dreams|11227040|Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain, #2)|Kristen Ashley|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51d67A3D1sL._SL75_.jpg|16152935].

Rating: