anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

The Fall of a Saint (Harlequin HistoricalThe Sinner and the Saint)

The Fall of a Saint (Harlequin HistoricalThe Sinner and the Saint) - Christine Merrill 1 star

Michael Poole, Duke of St. Aldric made a mistake. After all, he was very drunk and trying to prove himself. Everyone makes mistakes. It's just that his was pretty spectacular. Instead of going to the room of a willing barmaid, he stumbled into Madeline Cranston's room and slept with her. And then got caught.

The problem, of course, is that Madeline is a gentlewoman, a governess. But, even scandals like that can be taken care of. A generous settlement tends to do the trick. Until it turns out that Madeline is carrying a child. Then, there are no other options for St.Aldric save marriage.

The "Saint" and his reluctant wife will have to learn to live with each other and, maybe even find happiness in that life.

When I requested this title on NetGalley, I did so based on the blurb. I do love it when a duke falls for the governess (always was a fan of Cinderella type stories), and it looked like this book fit the bill.

Unfortunately, after the first chapter or so, I had really hard time finding anything likable about it.

Everything I'm about to talk about is revealed in the first couple of chapters so it's not a spoiler, and I really think it's important to mention.

You see, the duke had mumps several months before the story started, and the general conclusion was he is infertile. So, he started drinking and tumbling every loose woman that crossed his path hoping he will impregnate one (the mindset alone of making an innocent child a bastard just to prove that his mighty ducal line won't die out sits wrong with me - a lot). And then he made the mistake and went into the wrong room. For all he knows he raped her. It turns out she thought he was her lover who died in the war. It is still wrong. Just wrong.

And then there's Madeline. I didn't like her either. If she accepted his marriage proposal, she should have at least tried to get along with him - they were going to have a child, and she was doing her best to make his life as miserable as possible.

All in all, the book sounded really promising, and I did find the duke's half-brother to be an interesting character, but I simply couldn't get past that beginning.

ARC received from Harlequin via NetGalley.