anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

The Other Side of Us

The Other Side of Us - Sarah Mayberry 3 stars

Oliver Barrett and Mackenzie Williams want nothing to do with each other. They came to the town of Flinders to hide and recuperate. Mackenzie from an accident that scarred her and changer her life irreversibly, Oliver from the fact that his wife cheated from the time they returned from their honeymoon.

So, it's safe to say that company is the last thing they need.

But circumstances are such that they simply can't stay away. Mother Nature conspired against them, but so did their loyal dogs.

As they slowly start to get to know each other better, to learn about all the good and bad things that make the person, they come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe they could make it work.

A sweet read with two strong characters at its core. It's nice to finally get a heroine who is scarred by betrayal and life, and is grouchy as a result. Grouchy heroes are dimes a dozen, but such heroines are rarer. Oliver and Mac's relationship takes time to develop - they went from antagonism to reluctant friendship to love. And yet is seemed completely natural, no sudden changes in their behavior. Their banter was entertaining, and their talks about their lives definitely not uplifting.

The dogs were pure delight. All the trouble they managed to get themselves in. They truly made me smile. :D

The not so good thing is the fact that I had problems making myself read the book. It seems that the story dragged at times. I don't exactly like using the word boring, but it's applicable in this case. Not the entire book, mind you, but there were parts when it was really hard for me to keep my attention fixed on the book.

All in all, a good read, with some bumps along the way. But I will still look out for Ms. Mayberry's next book, because I truly like the way she writes.

ARC received from Harlequin via NetGalley