anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

My Lady Coward: An Episodic Regency Romance

My Lady Coward: An Episodic Regency Romance - Jaimey Grant 4 stars

My Lady Coward is the story of Lady Maria, a wealthy Cit's daughter, and her new husband Richard, a handsome, but destitute duke.

As the story opens, Maria and Richard have been married but a few weeks. However, things are not rosy in their marriage. You see, Richard has had a mistress for years, and everybody knows that he still visits her. That's really tough on poor Maria who is already an outcast in society because of her low birth. But, she loves her husband and is willing to fight for him.

A lovely and romantic story! I truly liked both Maria and Richard, which doesn't happen to me all that often (liking both main characters, that is). True, there were moments when they jumped to conclusions, or failed to communicate properly, but it was completely believable (not a moment of "Really? You're going to believe/do/say that?!"). And I admire Maria for doing her best to adjust to her new life, it was far from easy, but she didn't give up or lower herself to the level of some of the "ladies" she was surrounded with.

What I did have issues with, and I was well warned, is the episodic nature of the story. The jump from episode to episode was a bit abrupt. I know, I know, it says so in the title, and in the beginning of the story - never said I was a logical creature. :-)

But even with that, I did like the story and I warmly recommended it to anyone looking for a short and sweet regency romance.

Oh yes, if anybody's interested, this is free for kindle (and probably somewhere else, but I got it from amazon).