anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

My Darling Caroline

My Darling Caroline - Adele Ashworth Summary:

No man's darling . . .

One by one, Lady Caroline Grayson watched her four sisters celebrate their betrothals, truly sure that marriage was not in her future—and perfectly pleased with that fact. Or so she thought.

Brent Ravenscroft, Earl of Weymerth, nearly gave his life for the Crown. He returned to England a hero with no intention of taking a bride, certain his brusque demeanor would intimidate any young ladies drawn to his good looks—or so he thought.

Bound by a business transaction, Caroline and Brent begin life as husband and wife. Utterly determined not to fall for each other, they stubbornly ignore the sparks flying between them and keep secrets at every turn. They would resist the lure of love—and the pleasures of the marriage bed—forever . . . or so they thought.

I like Brent - he's just the kind of tortured hero that drives me to read their stories. After all the horror of his childhood and later the war he deserves his HEA. He's incredibly patient and gentle when it comes to Caroline, even though sometimes she doesn't deserve it. Of course, there was a scene at the end when he was cruel to her, but it didn't bother me much - mostly because by that time Caroline managed to annoy me.

Caroline is an incredibly smart woman who was never allowed to shine. Most people saw her intellect as a threat, but not Brent - he was proud of her. I mostly didn't like her - she was thinking of leaving him the entire book, and it would've been nice if she were the one to explain her reasons to Brent, not her sister. She didn't deserve him.

There was a bit too much angst and drama in the book for my taste (especially in the end), that and Caroline was the reason for the rating.

Rating: