anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

Secrets of a Proper Countess

Secrets of a Proper Countess - Lecia Cornwall Isobel spent most of her life trying to please others, her father and then later on her husband. And then when her husband died she could have been free. For some women widowhood meant freedom, but to her it was even worse than her marriage. You see, her mother-in-law is the one who controls her and if she does something "bad"she loses her son. So she did everything she was told, until a masquerade and an irresistible man interfered.

Blackwood is a spy who needs to find out about a deadly plot. Too bad he's so smitten with his mysterious lover that he has trouble concentrating. And then there's the proper Lady Isobel Maitland who manages to catch his attention as well.

I was a bit bothered by Blackwood's thoughts about Isobel. So because a woman doesn't dress the way she should or isn't pretty she isn't worth his attention? And one other thing - why can't a rake simply be a rake rather than a spy who uses it as a cover?

On the other hand Isobel is way too meek for the most of the book. There had to be something she could do, and I'm not talking about the fact even though everything was at risk she kept sneaking off to "see" Blackwood. That's a bit of a contradiction IMO.

But I did like their relationship and the sexual tension between them.

All in all I like the book and will be reading more from Lecia Cornwall.

Rating: