anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver - E. Lockhart The review won't be just about this book, it will be about the entire series.

I still like Ruby, with all her obsessing about boys. I like how she started to understand who her friends really are. She really matured during the course of the series. Of course there were some moments when she annoyed me, but overall she was OK.

I'm primarily a romance reader and there were times when it bugged me that she couldn't settle on a guy and kept changing her opinions. But the confusion she felt was real so I cut her a break.

One of the best things in the book, and my favorite quote is her thoughts on HEA.

In life, maybe you do eventually find love, but it's not with your high school boyfriend. It's with a completely different person whom you never even met before--someone who didn't figure into the first part of the story at all. In life, there's no happily-ever-after-into-the-sunset. There's a marriage, complete with arguments, bad hair, lost hair, mentally unstable children, weird diets, dogs that fur up the couch, not enough money. Like my parents. That's their life I just described-but then, there they were, talking on the phone about my dad massaging my mom's groin area after yoga; cuddling on the couch; holding hands and wearing stupid Great Dane paraphernalia.

That's all we can realistically hope for. In fact, I think it's as close to happily-ever-after as things get. Though I am not yet sure if I find that fact depressing or encouraging.

That's incredibly mature of her. The quote is from The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver.

I think that reading a couple of books and not the entire series would've been less of an enjoyable read. As I said, as a romance reader I wanted at least a sort of HEA, when she's with a boy at the end, happy. That didn't happen in the first two books.

All in all, a good funny contemporary YA "romance". :-)

Rating (for the series):