anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

A Night to Surrender

A Night to Surrender - Tessa Dare
Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's nothing in this place but spinsters... and sheep. But he has no choice, he has orders to gather a militia. It's a simple mission, made complicated by the spirited, exquisite Susanna Finch—a woman who is determined to save her personal utopia from the invasion of Bram's makeshift army.

Susanna has no use for aggravating men; Bram has sworn off interfering women. The scene is set for an epic battle... but who can be named the winner when both have so much to lose?

A highly entertaining, although slightly unbelievable book. I liked it a lot. I loved the first chapter, it sucked me in, and I couldn't put the book down (well, technically, I couldn't stay away from the laptop, but you get the point). :-)

Susanna is a delightful heroine, strong and independent, but with some serious issues of her own. I liked the fact that she was built a life for herself, and that she was happy on her own. Of course, after she met Bram she knew what she was missing - love. *sigh*

Bram is a military officer, eager to go back to war and to the life he knows. Unfortunately, he was wounded, and now he has to prove that he is still capable of leading men into a battle. His task of gathering militia would be much easier if it weren't for Susanna. Of course, everything would be far more duller then.

I loved both Bram and Susanna, and I like them as a couple. They are perfect for each other.

Spindle Cove itself is an interesting place (here comes the slightly unbelievable part) - it's a place for women who need solace, or simply healing, somehow there are no strong men left, the women rule, and Susanna is of course the leader.

There are a few LOL moments in the book, and the entire feel of the book is uplifting.

There are some things that bothered me, hence the 4 star rating. Mostly is the last part of the book. Both Bram and Susanna annoyed me a little. I know they both have issues, but their behavior didn't fit the image of them I had in my mind. But, what bothered me more: Susanna's father didn't deserve to be forgiven so easily.

All in all, a book I enjoyed and I will continue with the series.

Rating: