anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

Once Upon a Winter's Eve

Once Upon a Winter's Eve - Tessa Dare
Some wallflowers bloom at night...

Violet Winterbottom is a quiet girl. She speaks six languages, but seldom raises her voice. She endured bitter heartbreak in perfect silence. The gentlemen aren't beating down her door.

Until the night of the Spindle Cove Christmas ball, when a mysterious stranger crashes into the ballroom and collapses at Violet's feet. His coarse attire and near-criminal good looks would put any sensible young lady on her guard. He's wet, chilled, bleeding, and speaking in an unfamiliar tongue.

Only Violet understands him. And she knows he's not what he seems.

She has one night to draw forth the secrets of this dangerously handsome rogue. Is he a smuggler? A fugitive? An enemy spy? She needs answers by sunrise, but her captive would rather seduce than confess. To learn his secrets, Violet must reveal hers—and open herself to adventure, passion, and the unthinkable... Love

After reading the first book in the series A Night to Surrender and loving it I decided to read this novella. I usually have a problems with the shortness of the stories, things are usually too rushed for them to be believable. But since I need to read the series in order...

Unfortunately, I didn't like the story. Since the next part of the review contains some spoilers: I'm not a big fan of reunion romances and this one has a rather unbelievable plot. He's supposed to be a spy, but he decides to simply go back to England so that he could see the woman he abandoned a year ago. It mainly goes like this: Violet and Christian had known each other for ages, at some point in time they fell in love. After Christian's brother died, he was devastated and one night he found solace in Violet. So he took her virginity and disappeared with only a note that contained 26 words. If I were her I would've demanded a lot more groveling. And like I said the plot is troubling for me - all that running around, spies and secretes are simply too much, especially for such a short story

But the one thing I did like is the Spindle Cove, and we do meet the characters from the previous book, and get some news about them. I'll definitely be reading the remaining books of the series A Week to Be Wicked &A Lady by Midnight.

Rating: