anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover - Sarah MacLean 4 stars

Lady Philippa Marbury is on a mission. You see, she's getting married in two weeks and she knows nothing about the more intimate side of marriage. After all, how can she make promises to a man if she doesn't know what they entail. So, she decides to ask her brother-in-law's friend for help. Or in her own words:
I require ruination.

Cross can't believe his ears - the obviously virginal lady is asking him for ruination. True, she wants knowledge, not the act itself, but that won't make a difference - mere association with him could ruin her reputation. But she's a persistent thing, and soon, he gives in to her demand. If only he could resist her.

I rather liked both Pippa and Cross. Pippa is not your usual heroine. She's incredibly intelligent, logical and inclined to science. She lived her life responsibly, but now that her marriage is imminent, she finds herself questioning it all. After all, her fiancee, no matter how nice, never really aroused her feelings. But, with Cross, all bets are off.

As for Cross, he's still haunted by his past. Every single thing he did in the past seven years, he did so that he could stop feeling guilty. Of course, it didn't work, but he keeps on hoping. But, now that Pippa's hounding him, everything appears different. If only their situation wasn't so doomed.

While the book was intriguing and the characters are great, there was something simply missing. The book was going strong, until the last 30% or so, when it tapered off.

I loved the first couple of books Ms. MacLean wrote, but lately it seems like her writing isn't as absorbing and enchanting as it was.

Don't get me wrong, the book was still a delight. I enjoyed it, and I was cheering for Cross and Pippa (they do make a lovely couple).

I will be on the lookout for Ms. Maclean's next book, that's for sure.

ARC received from Avon via Edelweiss.