anasmith7186896

anasmith7186896

Heart of Obsidian

Heart of Obsidian - Nalini Singh 5 AMAZING stars

Since I'm not sure I could actually write a review without spoilers - saying hero/heroine, being vague are really not my thing. Although, by now, I'm pretty sure that most people already know, but if there's somebody out there who hasn't heard it yet, beware. :-)

Anyway, before going to the details, I've just got to say this - Ms. Singh has outdone herself with this book. It is truly amazing (and yes,I'm going to use that word a lot), heartbreaking, full of action, but the quiet emotional moments as well. Truly, truly amazing.

Now for the spoilerish part (I won't go into too much detail, but I will name names):

Our hero is Councilor Kaleb Krychek, icy, ruthless, incredibly beautiful and at first glance completely Silent. The truth is not so much different - he shut down his emotions long ago in order to survive, but there is one crack in his otherwise perfect Silence - Sahara. He has lived through hell, growing up with Councilor Santano Enrique who was a psychopath who delighted in torture. The one bright spot was Sahara. So when she was taken away from him, he swore vengeance and spent years plotting and trying to find her. And now, the time has finally come.

Sahara is nearly broken. Years of torture have left their mark and she is so close to completely breaking down. So when the coldly dangerous man rescues her, she doesn't understand why everything in her urges her to trust him. If she was smart, she would try to find a way to escape him (not that it would be successful), but she can't (won't) leave him.

And to top it all, the events of the last few years are coming to an explosive climax, and if they're not careful their world will be destroyed.

Did I mention how amazing this book was? No, really I'm still riding the high of reading it. I mean, I really love the entire series, but this is just so, so good. And one of the main reasons why - Kaleb.

Kaleb is incredible. He is just as ruthless as ever, but we see a softer side, one that has never given up on finding Sahara, even if he never allowed himself to imagine the consequences of it. His life has been brutal, but he prevailed, plotted and found his HEA.

Sahara is a worthy match for him. Loyal, loving and able to penetrate the thick walls he erected around his heart. She is also strong and brave, she has to be in order to survive.

There were lots of other characters from previous books, and I liked the glimpses of their lives, but when compared to Kaleb, they simply pale.

The ones that stood out are Vasic and Aden - I can't wait for those two to finally get their HEAs. Although, I did read somewhere that Ms. Singh is not sure whether or not Vasic will survive, I decided to trust her to get him his well deserved happiness.

What will never cease to amaze me is the world itself. I can't wait for the next book in the series to see what will happen with the Psy and how the other races will acclimate to the changes this book has brought.